National Development Plan of Tonga
The Ministry of Finance and Planning’s medium-term development plan, the Tonga Strategic Development Framework 2011-14, was launched in 2011, with the vision of ‘a just, equitable and progressive society in which the people of Tonga enjoy good health, peace, harmony and prosperity, in meeting their aspirations in life’.
The outcome objectives of the Strategic Development Framework are:
- Strong inclusive communities
- Dynamic public-private partnerships
- Appropriate and well maintained infrastructure
- High quality universal basic education
- Appropriately skilled workforce
- Improved health of the people
- Environmental sustainability
- Better governance
- Safe, secure and stable society.
The Strategic Development Framework underlined the importance of good governance; the constitutional and political reforms, the first stage of which was completed following the election of November 2010; and the strengthening of anti-corruption measures.